One of the biggest downfalls for teens and young adults are the feelings of invincibility and not taking proper precautions when necessary. Although we all learn from mistakes, take a few minutes to read some of our tips that you can use through school and life.
Trust your instincts. Take care of yourself, listen to that inner voice that tells you when something just doesn't seem right, and be safe. Here are a few tips for your personal protection:
- Develop a reliable reputation.
- Carry a cell phone.
- At night, stay in well-lit areas and away from shrubbery, doorways, or shadows.
- If possible, walk with a friend.
- Keep your doors locked and windows up most of the way.
- Don't ever pick up anyone you don't know!!
- If someone tries to steal your car while you are in it, honk the horn repeatedly.
- If there are no adults home, never give out that information to strangers-whether in person or on phone.
- At school, make sure to watch your belongings or lock them in your locker. Try not to share a locker with even your friends.