Skip to main content.

Back to Web Site

City of Orono, Minnesota
The Lakeshore City

Well Information

Do You Have a Well on Your Property?

Before signing an agreement to sell or transfer real estate property, the seller must provide a well disclosure.  This is the process by which the seller of the property provides information to the buyer and the state about the location and status of all wells on the property.

Well disclosures are required by state law through the Ground Water Protection Act (Minnesota Statues, Section 103I.235)

Well disclosure certificates are available from the Minnesota Department of Health, and have been required for all property transfers in Minnesota since
November 1, 1990.

Contact the Minnesota Department of Health with questions regarding wells.

Wellhead Protection

What is Wellhead Protection?
Wellhead Protection is a way to prevent drinking water from becoming polluted by managing potential sources of contamination in the area which supplies water to a public well. Much can be done to prevent pollution, such as the wise use of land and chemicals. Public health is protected and expense of treating polluted water or drilling new wells is avoided through wellhead protection efforts. 

Groundwater Wells
While the wellhead protection program is only required for public water supply wells, individual residential wells are one item that can potentially transmit contamination to the aquifer. If a residential well is poorly constructed, not maintained, or improperly abandoned, that well becomes a potential avenue for contamination to enter the aquifer. All homeowners with their own wells are encouraged to monitor the health of their own well through water quality sampling. 

While the City of Orono does not have the resources to test each residential well for contaminants, the process is relatively inexpensive for property owners and is highly recommended. More information about private well testing is available from the Minnesota Department of Health:

Additionally, Minnesota Well Code states that any private well that is no longer used must either have a permit to be maintained or must be abandoned (sealed) by a licensed well contractor. If your property has a well that is no longer active, the well may be in violation of Minnesota Well Code and may need to be sealed. Grants are available to help reduce the financial burden on the well owner. More information about well sealing is available at:

Want to learn more about healthy drinking water?  Check out the links below:

Attached Document or FileWell Head Protection Plan  

Resource Contact Information

City of Orono, 2750 Kelley Parkway, Orono, MN 55356 - Main (952) 249-4600 - Fax (952) 249-4616